KS6 - MAGNETS

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge
Kickstarter 6 developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Re: KS6 - MAGNETS

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:34 am

Q: Will the magnets and system used to fit them underneath each KS6 piece be the same as in KS5? I ask because I would like to know how easy/difficult it will be to remove them manually.

A: they should be comparable to KS5 magnets, yes. I tried popping a few DoD magnets loose out of curiosity, and they are pretty darn snug but it was doable with a small slotted screwdriver.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:42 am

Q: I have very little of the KS2 caverns. I have the cavern assortment pack to supplement & will try to snag one of the basic sets to supplement KS6 when it restocks for more options. I know they aren't magnetized but a good dremel, glue/epoxy and magnets (which I have) I'm sure can solve that. Or I'll just rely on friction b/w the new magnetized stuff when I get them in hand.

A: backer: KS2 bases are not flat like KS1, they are "indented" (there is a recess on the bottom of the piece. So you would not need a dremel, the room for the magnet is already there. The height of the magnet that fits is less than 4mm (as in: 4mm is just a little too much). So any magnet 3mm or less in height can be just glued on, without any other mod. Personally, I use 10mm diameter x 3mm high magnets.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Q: I really really don’t want anchor magnets, but I understand that they are standard. How easy/difficult will it be to PRY OUT the magnet and remove them from the pieces?

A:(NATE): I have never tried to remove one but I think it will be difficult. Maybe with the right tool you could get it down to a science?

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Q: I'm noticing a lot of the pieces that I assume are magnetic are not labeled with the "U" symbol. Specifically, none of the walls in Encounter 4, Webbed Lair are marked magnetic but, clearly some pieces, possibly the Winding Passage piece, are magnetic because the magnetic webs are attached. Can the magnetic pieces be labeled accordingly?

A: (Nate): Yes, we’ll get on that. We have a graphics sweetening pass we want to do after we release the Underdoom. Thanks for your patience

-----

Q:will there be a magnetic wall pack addon?
A: Most likely not. We ended up with fewer magnetic wall pieces this year than in previous years.

-----

Q:What magnets were previously used in KS4 and DOD?

A: The magnets are N52 and the sizes are 5mm x 3mm and 12mm x 3mm. Polarized through thickness. The 12x3mm ones are only used in Burrows. Geekjeff ordered a few 6mmx3mm and is going to try them out. We will post an update here on how his experiment goes.

UPDATED
A: GeekJeff: The 6x3mm refrigerator magnets I ordered from Amazon to test are actually closer to 6x2.5mm. I can't totally recommend that particular seller - the magnets fit well and they'll hold a piece in place and even carefully inverted, but some vigorous shaking of the Terrain Tray will make the pieces scoot around a bit. So they are not quite as strong as the factory magnets, which are rock solid. I can probably use them for retrofitting older pieces, but the hunt continues. This is another great reason IMO for buying smaller quantities from domestic shippers, instead of 1000+ from Alibaba sellers.
Last edited by JenneyOC on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:59 pm

Q: How tricky is it to pop out those magnets? Will the system used to put magnets under KS5 pieces be the same as with KS6 pieces?

A: They will be like the anchor magnets in KS5. The glue is really good so it's harder to just pop them out. That isn't to say that they don't sometimes pop out... just that it's not that easy to pop them out on purpose

-----

Q: Wouldn’t it be cheaper to just not include the magnets?

A: unfortunately it would literally cost more (for both versions) if we offered with and without magnets. Because the factory charges for all the variations they need to keep track of. If we offered both, then the magnet-less pieces would cost more than the current with-magnets pieces; everybody would get up-charged. Also there are limitations on how many different SKUs we can maintain; the factory won't produce small runs, etc.

-----

Q: How do the magnets effect storage?

A: (Geekjeff) I just went and played with some Magnetized Vaulted Walls (because who doesn’t love an excuse to play with Dwarvenite?) and found a couple of opposite polarity ones.
When you nest the walls, there’s enough of a horizontal offset between each magnet that they basically have no tactile repulsion between the pieces. Since Cavern walls have even more of an offset when nested, I think it would be even less of an issue.

Flat 2x2 floors will push each other askew, but when putting things away I basically end up with one stack of N polarity (like 90% of them I think and another stack with a few S ones, and then I flip the S stack over and it all holds together nicely in a row.

I can understand the worry, but in practice I’ve found magnets to be a non-issue for storage.
If they end up bothersome, you can pop them out of the bottoms pretty easily with an electronics/eyeglass flathead screwdriver. And then uh, you have free magnets for some project, heh!

-----

Q: I pointed out yesterday that I thought it was a bit odd that the magnet walls this time around were intentionally sculpted to visually stand out (Nate says it's a deposit of magnetite in one video). It's a fine sculpt and visually interesting but I find it an odd choice since ideally the use of the magnet walls is for them NOT to stand out visually, just to be used for accessories, traps etc. Any thoughts? The walls are not supposed to be actually magnetic in-game so that one is a weird choice IMO.

A: it’s pretty much impossible to “hide” a usable, flat magnetic surface on a Cavern sculpt with flowstone, so they’re going to stand out any way you slice it. It’s not like Dungeons, where every wall sculpt looks much like another and you can say “surprise, swinging blade!” Since they’re going to stand out anyways, I think the idea was to make them an interesting visual element beyond the magnet functionality.

-----

Q: Question on the trifecta pieces do both the wall and the floor have magnets in them
A: yes they both have anchor magnets in them, But not magnets to stick together.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

KS6 - MAGNETS

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Q: Are all the pieces magnetic or will this be an option later?
A: All piece will come with the anchor magnets included. It was too difficult to do both with and without magnets this year, so we chose to go with them included as standard.

Q: We know trifecta floors have ledges style magnets. Do the freestanding Trifecta walls have any magnets?
A: trifecta walls and floors will both have anchor magnets. Gravity connects them, but they still have anchor magnets.