Amazing water effects with Prisme/Vitrail paints

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Amazing water effects with Prisme/Vitrail paints

Post by pacarat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:02 am

Just picked up three box sets of the Vitrail, Prisme and Moon this past week at Michaels. Used 40% or 50% coupons.

Going to give it a try on some custom pool sized inserts.

Don't recall if they have the lightener in stock.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:56 am

astolat wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:45 am
Hey guys, I've been experimenting with Pebeo's Vitrail and Prisme paints for water effects, and I think I've figured out ways to make stuff that I think is really amazing and is also pretty painless to do.

All of these pieces are produced in roughly the same way:

- Pour a thin layer of a Vitrail paint, optionally mixed with Pebeo's Vitrail lightener.

- Drip on Prisme paints either heavily or in small sections, optionally swish around using toothpicks.

- Repeat layers as many times as desired.

You get different effects depending on how thick your layer is, how much you let the different layers dry in between, etc.

I made these first three pieces experimenting with Mantic Terrain Crate pieces as I didn't mind messing them up.

This one is a very thin piece with no rim on the pool area. I used hot glue to create a rim, poured a very tiny layer of undiluted Vitrail Sky Blue, let dry a bit, then dripped Prisme Emerald and Prisme Onyx around the edges, swirled them a very little bit with toothpicks, and let dry. (When you let Prisme paints dry on a flat surface, those cool honeycomb-like cells form over time.)

This fountain I did with just Prisme paints because it's so small. I just dripped in a Prisme blue (I can't remember which color I used, I think maybe Marine Blue/Navy Blue?) and Emerald. This photo was taken before the cells had formed fully.

This might be my favorite. I tried putting a Vitrail layer OVER Prisme drips, but it was too dark, so then I did another layer of Prisme drips, then lightened Vitrail sky blue VERY heavily -- probably 1:10 ratio -- and poured it on top, and then dripped in more Prisme before the Vitrail had dried much. The Prisme paints sank partway into the Vitrail layer but because the Vitrail was so lightened, you can still see them.

And here is the DoD large pool, which I also made with multiple layers of Vitrail and Prisme. In this case I dripped the Prisme right into a fresh layer of lightened Vitrail. I don't know if you can really get a sense of the three-dimensional quality of the paint from these last two pics, but in person it's really pronounced and lovely.

Basically you almost can't go wrong just messing around with these paints until you end up with something that you are happy with. You don't need to mix any specific proportions like with resin.

It dries to a firm, non-sticky surface. It could probably use some sealing & I know there is a sealer Pebeo makes, but I haven't tried yet.

The cons: It does take a few hours/overnight to dry, depending on how thick your layers are, and you need to use it in a decently ventilated area. I've been pouring it indoors in my crafting room and leaving it overnight with the fan going and the window open and it's been fine.

You can clean the stuff up with mineral spirits like oil paint, but if you're lazy like me, you can just use toothpicks or disposable plastic droppers and mix it in old takeout containers and throw them out afterwards.
Does it dry firm enough to make a removable insert for the pool?
Then you could have multiple colors or textures to swap out as needed for various adventures/scenes.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:58 am

Just WOW!
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:23 pm

Thanks for sharing, these will let me finish a project I've had on hold for a bit. It is a shallow piece that I have not yet been happy with the water for.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:58 pm

biowizard wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:13 pm
This is beautiful and inspiring. Thanks

Do you know if these are available in red?
I wonder if my twisted mind can turn your beautiful calm ponds into a gory pit of hell.
Yep, there's loads of colors. I've just done a really cool green cauldron (emerald prisme with lightened green vitrail poured on top) and a green and gold pool. There's also the "Moon" line which I haven't tried yet!

https://www.dickblick.com/products/pebeo-vitrail-paint/
https://www.dickblick.com/products/pebe ... me-paints/
https://www.dickblick.com/products/pebe ... on-paints/

FWIW I haven't gotten through a single 20ml bottle of Vitrail yet, and you use more of that than of Prisme. Definitely get the Vitrail lightener, it is what really enables the 3D effects, and it massively stretches the Vitrail.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:55 pm

Whoa!! That’s just beautiful. I really like the DOD pool, that’s a very nice color and effect. I will have to try to find these paints.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:13 pm

This is beautiful and inspiring. Thanks

Do you know if these are available in red?
I wonder if my twisted mind can turn your beautiful calm ponds into a gory pit of hell.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:25 pm

Those are stunning!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Astrolat, these are really just stunning, wow!

Especially the nebula effect in that 4x4 pool. You could just fly into that.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:05 pm

That looks totally awesome!