Encounter 15 - DREADHOLLOW FOREST

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge
Kickstarter 6 developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Encounter 15 - DREADHOLLOW FOREST

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 am

Q: I think each scatter pack provide three tree base -- the large "island" one and the stump patch large, and stump patch small. (sculpts in progress it says) I am a bit worried about their stability. So curious what the plan is for that.

A: we should have some work in progress photos of the Freestanding bases to look at. The Long one (which also fits over the Cave Entrance) is very stable.

-----

Q:How tall is a single large tree using 1 of each piece?
A: Heights vary by how many canopy pieces you layer, but I think a 3-high stack on a large tree is about 8 inches.

-----

Q: Am I correct that if I want two sets of each tree pack (2x large and 2x small) I will need four scatter add-ons to have enough bases for them?

A: yes, two sets of each sized Tree pack and 4 Scatter Packs is the Right ratio.

-----

Q: Does the big stump have teeth?
A: No teeth, nor rabbit and tendrils.

-----

Q: How many sets of the encounter was the Gen Con Livestream Game?
A: The Gen Coon game had about a double Dreadhollow give or take a few pieces.

------

Q: There's fog coming out of the spirit tree in one of the videos...can you elaborate on how this was done? I assume you hooked up a Fog Monster, but was it simply a small flexible tube through the small hole in the stump, or is there a detail to the spirit tree that's not obvious that enhances its use with the Fog Monster?

A: That it’s! A Fog Monster with a large flexible tube. Very easy to do.

------

Q: How does the scatter terrain work?

A: for Wargamers or anyone using wilderness mats for RPGs - since it’s not clear from the work in progress sculpts yet, 2 Forest Scatter Packs and one of each Tree pack will give you 6 trees (2 large and 4 small) with highly sculpted, freestanding bases which can be placed on anything.

------

Q: any word on pine trees as an add on or stretch goal. I’d love to see some pine tree variants.
A: Unfortunately, Pine trees will not be available during this campaign.

------

Q: Anyone know how long the stump patch long is? 6 inches???

A: the Stump Patch Long, a little bit under 6 inches. You can see it resting across the Cave Mouth escarpment in the Encounter graphics, and the long Escarpments are all 6 inches.

------

Q: Does the Stump Patch Long (from the Scatter Terrain Pack) require a 'small' or a 'large' Stump Topper? Trying to figure out how to buy 1 of the Scatter Terrain Packs and get trees or stump toppers to flesh out the 3 pieces into full trees.

A: if you buy 1 each of the Small and Large Tree Packs, then 1 Forest Scatter Pack will use up exactly half your trees. A second Scatter pack would match everything up perfectly.

------

Q: any feedback if the scatter stump bases could have magnets?

A: I asked about magnets in Stump Bases, we are thinking yes

A: Elye: For those who are asking if the forest pieces will have magnetized bases: yes, they will. You can expect magnets to be pretty much standard for all DF pieces going forward. It adds very little to the cost and a lot to the versatility.

------

Backer Comment: I was discussing this with folks on the forums - if you have an Erinthor Mountains collection, an alternate take is 1 each tree pack/1 Scatter/1 Cave Mouth. Lets you utilize 5 trees, one or more of the small trunk ones just get to be taller. Cave Mouth Pack blends very nicely with Erinthor, and will utilize 1 Large/1 Small (same Stump Pack as one in the Scatter pack.)

-----

Q: What are Stump patches and Stump toppers?

A: Stump Patches are the freestanding bases which allow you to inexpensively use the Trees anywhere - in an Erinthor setup, on a battle mat, etc. Stump Toppers are diagonal decorative bits which make an empty stump look like a natural break/deadfall, as opposed to a clean cut lumberjacked stump.

-----

Q: Why are some people asking for clear forest pieces?

A: they don’t mean clear as in transparent, they mean clear as in “no trees.” Grassy type areas for a clearing.
Threw me for a minute too.

-----

Q: What are the pieces in Dreadhollow that are labeled "trunk toppers"? What are they for?

A: They for covering a tree trunk so that it looks kind of like an old hollow tree trunk that fell long before and has grown mossy on top?

-----

Q: What is the use of the stilts in the forest?

A: to support 2nd-level terrain, to match the escarpments. like supports under the big stump on the hill in the picture.

------

Q:Why are the trees separate from the floor tiles packs? It makes more sense if they came together.

A: For those who are asking why the tree packs don't come with bases, the answer is that we wanted to provide everyone with maximum versatility. Those who want to use just the forest tiles can get only those. Those who want the tiles to have trees can get the trees too. Those who want the trees only as scatter terrain for wargaming or what have you can get the trees plus the stump/scatter packs, and place them anywhere.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:57 pm

Q: What is that Glowy Volcano Stump piece?
A: I believe the Glowy Volcano Stump piece is properly referred to as a Spirit Tree.

-----

Q: What are the prices for the Dreadhollow encounter? What is included?

A: I’m sorry we don’t have all the details for this Encounter laid out just yet. Nate mentioned at the beginning that a Dwarven Forge Kickstarter is like an improvisational metal show, and sometimes you get to see all the rough edges of creation. This is one of those cases for sure.
We’ll have slick polished graphics up soon, and should have prices and a final set composition early next week!

-----

Q: Are there any freestanding forest pieces?

A: Yes, they are planning a variant base to make a scatter terrain version of the trees!!!!!!! Nate and Elye noted you'll be able to buy free standing trees and pieces too for those who want to add them into other terrain, warhammer, on maps, etc.

-----

Q: Is the Spirit Tree 4x4 or 6x6?
A: I believe the Spirit Tree is 6x6.

-----

Q: what size are the tiles for the Dreadhollow forest?

A: 6x6 is the “large tile size” for Forest layouts, and there are also 3x3 pieces to offset the grid (just like 2x2 is the base size for Dungeons, and there are 1x1 and 1x2 to offset the grid and do Advanced Builder things.)

-----

Q: @Elye what drove the decision to go to the 3" and 6" sizes? Makes it a little challenging to match up with Mountains and other 2" increment plans.

A: we put a lot of thought into the sizing on these. We really wanted them to be as beautiful and naturalistic as possible, and also to accommodate good sized trees, and going smaller wouldn't have allowed us to space the trees so they didn't interfere with each other, or to do roots and other features in an appealing naturalistic way. And after doing a variety of layouts combining the forest tiles with mountains, etc. we realized that it actually wasn't difficult to integrate them at all. (I was concerned about that myself initially.) With the bigger tiles, we can fit in a lot more fine detail and I think the results are really attractive.

-----

Q: Will there be something like banks to transition from the forest floor to negative space?

A: Currently there are no forest banks, but the stone banks would also look good transitioning to a water terrain tray.

-----

Q: Is this just the beginning of wilderness terrain, or will this be our only shot at getting a forest?

A: if the initial forest offering is popular, we will almost certainly be expanding the line considerably in the future, including negative space / banks type pieces. Also, one fact that wasn't featured in the livestream is that we're planning to make freestanding tree bases for those who want to place trees in locations other than on forest tiles (e.g. on mats, in castle courtyards, etc.). This will be a great option for smaller budgets, for wargamers who want "scatter" terrain for huge game mats, etc.

-----

Q: Do all the forest tiles have trees on them?

A: We will have more plain tiles 3x6 and 3x3 that will have more flat texture, so you can make the forest lest densely wooded or place things on top of the forest floor. There are also currently plans for a freestanding tree trunk. Elye talks about it a bit in the interview.

-----

Q: Earlier today, another backer (Darren Jones) brought up the horizontal lines where the stumps and tree body meet. He suggested that foliage could be integrated into the sculpt (hanging down from the upper piece) to conceal the join line. I proposed that if that is too difficult, perhaps the stumps and trees could have a V pattern of bark going up and down around the circumference since that could also minimize the join line.
Is this something you looked into? The sculpts are incredible as-is of course, but it might be possible to reduce the join line effect on the trees with some tweaks.

A: Eyle: As far as the tree trunks go, we did consider have the joint follow the contours of the lines in the bark, but we felt it was important that they be able to rotate freely to allow for maximum versatility. In the final (non-prototype) versions where everything lines up perfectly the lines shouldn't be particularly noticeable, certainly no more than the joints between tiles.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Q: So, I am not clear as of when the forest reveal happens?

A: It will be revealed during a livefeed DnD session run by Nate at GenCon on Friday starting 10am EST is 3pm BST.

-----

Q: Is the GenCon game the actual full encounter that we are seeing on the livestream?

A: We don’t know yet if the size you’re seeing covered on the table is the full Encounter, but probably not. We are still waiting for final pricing from the factory before settling on a set composition. We had to physically ship some of the prototypes to them for proper quotes, so it’s taking a little longer than anticipated.

-----

Q: Are the tree integral to the floor tile or just "plugged in?"

A:Nate: “they are modular trees, so you can change their heights and sizes.” Nate demonstrated how the tree canopies come off leaving the stumps behind, for easy mini maneuvering in combat.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Q: Where are the IMAGES of Dreadhollow

A: official galleries aren't up yet, but people have been collecting pics from various sources on a couple of forum threads:

https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtop ... 62&t=9513
https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtop ... 62&t=9515

And the Dwarven Forge Fans group on Facebook has a bunch, including visitor's shots from the booth:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Dwarvenforge/

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Encounter 15 - DREADHOLLOW FOREST

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:38 am

Walkthrough video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0p57 ... &index=28

Erinthor Mountain and Dreadhollow Forest Compatibility
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQDNW ... &index=30

UPDATE: NOTE on Trees
here’s the breakdown on the absolute max number of trees each pack can hold:
(Note: This is # of individual trees NOT Tree packs)

Cave Mouth Pack - 1 Large, 1 Small
Escarpments Pack - 4 Small
Heavy Forest Pack - 3 Large, 5 Small
Light Forest Pack - 2 Large, 2 Small
Foest Scatter Pack - 1 Large, 2 Small

-----

Gen Con livestream DF Game - Dreadhollow Forest Release
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/292592163

Gen Con Interview livestream
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/292592163

Elye walkthrough Dreadhollow
https://www.facebook.com/brandon.hodge ... 59417782/
Last edited by JenneyOC on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.