Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Building "double walled" castles, a few pics

Post by Talistran » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Fu-Man Chu wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:31 pm
Fantastic! Looks like a lot of fun!

What level? I find Pathfinder hard to run once it starts getting past level 8/9...
7 Players, all at level 12. I think it is doable, I just make sure players understand that when their turn in combat comes up they need to know exactly what their action is... if they can't tell me what they are doing in five seconds, they miss their turn. I find it really helps keep them engaged in the combat and the game, as they are constantly paying attention to what their comrades are doing instead of beginning to think about their turn ON their turn.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks everyone! I love the castle sets and I just recently picked up the necromancer mega set.

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Fantastic! Looks like a lot of fun!

What level? I find Pathfinder hard to run once it starts getting past level 8/9...

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:23 pm

WOW - i wish i had enough to build something that epic - and i wish i had a space to leave it set up for a few weeks!

This is a great build - i particularly love the shot of the skeleton with the dragon over his shoulder - their expressions play well of each other and it just reeks of evil!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 am

Fabulous Build Talistran :)

Roof platforms are a godsend for double thick wall builds.

Love the close up of the square tower and dragon, really shows off those Necromancer theme skeletons.
Heads on Spikes too - glorious.

Top job :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:51 pm

Very Nice, taking notes and thoughts since I have an upcoming scenario where the PCs will likely be "storming the castle". No Dragons on the defense, just a lot of humanoids and some Ogres and Trolls I suspect (it will depend on when they get around to it...)

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:22 pm

Great build!!!! Dragons, undead and castles!! Now that’s a winning combination!

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:16 pm

1. Awesome build. Wow!

2. Your players look appropriately concerned by what's in front of them. Nice job DM.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Building "double walled" castles, a few pics

Post by Talistran » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Heya all,

It has been a while since I've built anything significant for gaming, but we had a final session last night wherein I needed to build up a large, double walled castle with a single wizard tower in the corner. I didn't go too fancy, but it is owned and operated by a necromancer with a few pet undead dragons, so used some decorations.

I took a few pictures along the way of the double wall construction because it took me a while to figure out how I liked doing it best, and thought others might be interested in that aspect.

Here is laying down the base blocks. You'll notice that I don't have enough of the 2x2x2 blocks to fill them in all the way if I want this large of a footprint, but this seems to work fine using 3 instead of 6. The magnets are so weak on those 2x2x2's anyways that it isn't like they are really holding the walls together. It is a little flimsy at this point.

Close up of one of the corners.

Then, i added a bunch of the 4x4 and 4x8 roof platforms, and using battlements on the outside. This combination makes the walls pretty strong and holds them together well.

Then I forgot to keep taking pictures for a while. Here is the next shot, showing the addition of a bunch of things. I've added battlements all the way around the outside, with KS3 crenellations all along the inside; I used some of the battlement to crenellation transitions to create little pockets along three of the inner walls.

Also notice the KS5 LED floor integrated pieces that match up reasonably well paint wise with the KS3 and KS4 pieces. I used KS5 2x2 floor pieces in the inside corners of the walkways too and they also match fairly well. You can't see it well, but a lot of necro decorations from KS4 were added.

Some shots of some of the necro decorations.

Simple heads on a stick, along with a wizard spire LED.

Here are some other shots that show off some of the courtyard and I really like how they shot off the transition battlement/crenellation pieces.

Ok... and then a few shots filled with bad guys during the game ;)

Hope it was enjoyable and/or useful.