Isometric Maps

DWChancellor
Orc
Orc

Re: Isometric Maps

Post by DWChancellor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:59 pm

Finally, how about the back? In a full build there would be walls all around, so this isn't much different from normal, but it really shows just how much better visibility is from the other side (I'd normally build with the wall direction towards me, the DM so the PCs can see well).

The complex geometry in my tight passage-build is wasted with a full build because its hard to see into. Notice the pre-build encounters with elevation in KS6 are often coupled with larger open spaces so it looks nice visually. You can tell people with video/photography in mind are building around that.

DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

DWChancellor
Orc
Orc

Re: Isometric Maps

Post by DWChancellor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:57 pm

Lets get a little closer. Here you see the party has entered and is about to confront a large creature coming through a hallway. Who bets that silly paladin will get into melee in the corridor and block his archery support? With the isometric map, plenty of room for this bulky oversized miniature and the action is easy to see.

A busy passage situation becomes manageable with isometric walls:

Sorry cave-tribe, the Khri are moving in! Notice the poor orc and goblins who are easily accessible and visible in this otherwise tight passage build.

DWChancellor
Orc
Orc

Isometric Maps

Post by DWChancellor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:55 pm

Hey All,

Been some discussion of isometric map building on the KS6 comments section. I spent a little time building a quick (~1 hour) build to demonstrate :idea: . Lighting is poor right now so hopefully I'll remember to take better shots tomorrow. Note, this is very floor intensive. Floors, those being the cheapest pieces :D . Let's begin:

First off, an establishing shot to give a sense of scale. I used a mix of KS1, KS2, KS4, and KS5 pieces. Bonus: spot the resin!

Another angle:

Last edited by DWChancellor on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.