DF parts that be considered "common"?

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Re: DF parts that be considered "common"?

Post by zenako » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Also focus on what you feel are the key gaming potentials of a setting. I just had a situation this past weekend with a cliff face that had a ground level opening (with a small river 15-20' wide) flowing out into the canyon, and another opening about 40' up reached by a series of switchbacks. The cliff verbally extended another 20' above that opening. The players spent a bunch of time discussing various options for getting to that opening. Fight their way thru the encamped orcs and ogres in the canyon and then hope that the cave defenders (if any) were not too tough as they worked their way of the ramps/switchbacks. Or dash into the opening with the river and hope things connect (they do, but not in a super useful way for them in this direction. (That stream is fed by a water flow falling from the ceiling from a chamber above them.) Or sneak around the canyon and try to evade/avoid any guards along the edge of the canyon and drop down the cave entrance using feather fall or just jump and take some lumps. The 3D nature of the set up let the players totally see what the situation was and all their discussions were relevant.

So use the DF tiles to provide clarity and situational awareness of the chambers/rooms/caves. I also had the canyon filled with other castle ruins for example to simulate the old housing that used to support those caves. The orcs and ogres were using them as partial shelter as well. So a useful design does not need to be completely continuous. Go from encounter situation to another situation and skim over the intervening terrain or tunnel, unlike the way DF presents their encounters for each KS.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:49 am

If you really want to integrate it with DF, you could provide several alternate builds using different set counts, and some various ways to get the areas built, maybe with smaller rooms if you have less pieces. And you could take a page from KSVI and offer that the builder might want to build one or two encounter area at a time if they have fewer sets.

I'd also suggest sticking to mainly bread & butter build pieces, and make any fancy "premium" pieces optional, or at least provide some ways to simulate those pieces with common household items if they're not available.

This is the problem with making DF setups for others, you have to guess at what most folks might have.

LordWestmark
Goblin
Goblin

Post by LordWestmark » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 am

You could also consider including both the drawn maps and pictures of the maps built out. In some of my notes, I've started to include pictures of the layout in addition to maps drawn on grid paper

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:22 pm

I would simply offer an index page of "Swap Outs"

Don't have a Double Door? Use two floors
Don't have cliffs - put the elevated section on a book and put walls against the edge

That sort of thing

This would also teach people with limited collections how to do AMAZING things - See Invincible Overlord's posts for amazing alternate uses of pieces
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:03 pm

FWIW, I would really suggest you just make the maps both fun and DF-compatible and not worry about whether your audience will actually have every piece of DF you include. Anyone who plays modules with DF already has to be adept at working around issues of incompatible maps. You'll be making it considerably easier to do that even if someone doesn't have everything, just by virtue of building within DF's grids, and if people can't buy a given thing they might well be able to borrow missing pieces from a fellow DF fan temporarily.

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 pm

One possible guiding principle, avoid freely-mixing parts from different primary lines.

Ie if I put a castle or city in the middle of a cavern, but the boundary regions between the two is mainly rectilinear, GMs can build on top of a dry erase/print out for whichever terrain set they have, albeit with some loss of immersion. However if the environments ebb and flow (cavern pieces in the middle of the city, in ones and two-- and out-building or two further removed/island). It going to look worse, IMO.

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:00 pm

I was thinking of something similar, and my conclusion is that there's not a standard.

Or better, if you want to reach as many people as possible, you should stick to the starter sets pieces, that's what everybody who has DF nearly surely has.

If you want to go overboard, you could make, for every encounter, 2 builds.
In the first one, you do a complex build with as many pieces as you like (I would still exclude hard to get pieces, and the very expensive ones).
Then you do a second, alternate build, using only basic pieces, and maybe everyday items as alternatives to some things (I don't know, a matchbox instead of the altar), a book to raise a part of the room, etc.).
Of course the encounter has to work with both versions.

This way, everybody can play it.

Further, everybody can see how much better it would look with more special items...

nielsene
Orc
Orc

DF parts that be considered "common"?

Post by nielsene » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:54 pm

I've long been working on a module/campaign that I've thought of trying to publish, currently its all conceptual story that I haven't transitioned to any given rule system. All along I had planned to ensure it was DF-friendly in all the maps, etc. However I'm starting to wonder that that actually means given variety of pieces/environments we have now... Lets say I was even to limit myself to dwarvenite pieces, its hard to say what a person who wants to use DF terrain is likely to have (and likely be be able to get.)

I sorta feel like there's DF friendly in the sense that the map can be faithfully recreated in DF (possibly because it was originally created in DF) which was what I had been considering, but I know I have a larger collection than most, so if I just build stuff and try to claim its a DF-friendly build, I suspect that won't end well....

If I limit myself to basically dungeon/cavern starter packs thats more likely to be used, but can miss a lot of interesting builds. Is there a promising middle ground in your opinion -- something more than some number of starter packs, and less than assuming expansive collection of all things DF?