KS6 Paint Jobs.

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Re: KS6 Paint Jobs.

Post by MrMorden » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 am

Twylla wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:29 am
I'm sure this is a very basic question, but I'm new to Dwarven Forge and I've never painted a miniature (though I'm fairly dexterous). If I buy a pre-painted set, how easy is it to add paint, change the color of something, etc? If I use the recommended paints, will the new paint I add flake off the prepaint? And if it takes the paint, will it blend with pre-existing colors or cover them up?
You should be able to repaint over existing paint. If the new paint flaking or rubbing off is a concern, you can hit it with a matte varnish like Testor's Dullcote when you're done painting.

Whether it blends or covers depends on how thin the paint you lay on is. You can do anything from a complete cover job (basecoat thickness) to just barely tinting the existing color (glaze). Search youtube for paint washes and glazes and you'll find out how to do them if you are not sure. I highly recommend Vince Venturella's "Hobby Cheating" series of videos for many paint techniques.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Twylla wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:29 am
I'm sure this is a very basic question, but I'm new to Dwarven Forge and I've never painted a miniature (though I'm fairly dexterous). If I buy a pre-painted set, how easy is it to add paint, change the color of something, etc? If I use the recommended paints, will the new paint I add flake off the prepaint? And if it takes the paint, will it blend with pre-existing colors or cover them up?
Twylla, welcome to the forums!

It's easy to add paint; it's difficult to change the color of something and not have it stand out unless you are matching the paint very closely or patching up a few areas on the piece at the same time to blend it. For instance, if the factory somehow blobs the paint on in one area, you would need to paint over it with the background color(s) and then paint the detail and highlights. If they blobbed paint on a plant in Dreadhollow but you want each branch/frond painted individually, you would need to paint the dirt and everything "under" the paint blob as well as the branches/fronds so the entire paint blob is painted over. Does that make sense?
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:06 am

But then, if I get unpainted forests, I can paint some in autumnal colors. :-D

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:05 am

DF paint will stick to anything it seems, it sticks better than anything I've seen. I like to use it as a base coat on my reaper bones.

I don't think the factory job will be sloppy, but I also don't think it will compare very well against the prototypes. The Khri colony are a good example of this. They're fine, and I'm not going to change them, but they don't quite shine like the prototypes did. There is a lot of relying on the original color of the material. Around the eggs (which I think they wanted to be careful around, because they're translucent), the lack of paint is a bit glaring. I took some photos and ironically, they look better in the photos than they do in front of me. I'm on the fence about the forests, since that will be a lot more work for me to paint, too!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:35 am

Must admit to being a little concerned over the Dreadhollow factory paint job.
Erins job on these is amazing and don't expect the factory to match it, just hope its not sloppy, especially when Nate says on the livestream that the factory does not know what its let itself in for with forests.

In the end we trust DF and most paint jobs have been more than acceptable to use, at least for terrain, their minis are ok until you look closer, but they are tabletop standard.

And 33 bunnies welcome Twylla to the Forums :D
I am the Game and I want to Play

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:44 am

I have painted over the DF prepainted once and the DF paint stuck just fine.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Twylla

Post by Twylla » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:29 am

DWChancellor
Orc
Orc

Post by DWChancellor » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Some of the DoD is rougher than other parts. Totally table quality but don't look too close or your inner-perfectionist will have a fit. Reminds me of the CSB guards and Castle guards... look great on the table but you can't help bringing them close to take a look and then..

Bust out the paint!
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 am

I think you can expect about the same level of painting as what people got from DoD. If your are happy with that I am sure you will be happy with these. My guess is that they will never quite match these painted prototypes, but I hope I am wrong. The paint on Darvinite has improved over the years but still not to the level of the resin sets.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

KS6 Paint Jobs.

Post by unclebilly » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:43 am

The stuff in this KS is absolutely fantastic. The level of detail is on par with the resin sets. Please please !!!! Keep an eye at the factory and make sure they don't just slap paint on it. So much detail will be lost with a bad paint job. We pay a good amount of money extra for painted set and deserve a paint job to show that.