Pledge help for a first time backer

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Pledge help for a first time backer

Post by zenako » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Yup, I can see those two being used along a coast or on a river/stream location and that makes them very versatile for my needs. My group tends to end up with alot of outdoor location encounters. The ruins I can see using in conjunction with Dungeon tiles, with Cavern tiles or with outdoor settings that are now in ruins.

DroopyMcCool49
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:05 pm

@Artcwolf Oh, well, I could simply paint up one of the two I am getting in ice, yes. I think maybe you missed that I am getting everything unpainted. I have actually considered that. If I get all of these pieces and decide I really don't need everything to be just plain caverns, I may paint one up in the ice scheme.

artcwolf
Goblin
Goblin

Post by artcwolf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:02 pm

@droopy, that's why i suggested just getting the ice caverns starter pack. it's the same as what you have listed but painted in ice

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... RiclVhWFVR

DroopyMcCool49
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:06 pm

@ Zenako I assume in Encounter 8 and 9 you are referring to the suspension bridge, boat and dock. I would love to work all of those in too, particularly the bridge, but I just cannot find the space. I really feel like Essentials 1 - 6 is the place to be for $1000 to $2000, or in the case of painted $2000 to $3000, budgets.

@SpaceMonkey I did not realize that the discount was so low, but I did try to build off of the Cavern Entrance pledge, and every time it just ended up being higher. I could just never work around the extra shipping and the loss of the discount to get a pledge that seemed like more. I may give that another shot though.

@artcwolf Thank you for the welcome. I am sure I am going to regret jumping in to this. I am really going to have to get some of my unused gaming stuff up on eBay to compensate. I absolutely love the Ice Cavern, and it was what pulled me in, but sadly I realized for versatility purposes I would have to let it go for now.

artcwolf
Goblin
Goblin

Post by artcwolf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:32 pm

with 1-6 encounters i would make the 2 starter caverns Ice caverns(listed in the add-on section)

I'm also really partial to the huge LED mushroom.

You are on the right track :) Welcome to the addiction :D You will not be disappointed. I spend several months in the dog house each year.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:29 pm

I would offer that your plan is very close to where I am (albeit I have painted versions listed and a 3K target). Essentials 1-6, and Dreadhollow form the big ticket items on my list. The rest will be flavor and stuff that I can see using in both a cavern and outdoors, so for me, items from encounters 5, 8 and 9 all are high priority. Overall I would say your list looks pretty good to me.

SpaceMonkey
Orc
Orc

Post by SpaceMonkey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:25 pm

The essentials 1-6 doesn't give a huge discount (around 5-6%) so if there are some adventure and/or bling packs you'd be willing to cut you could free up a little to get more forest. The essentials also gives you a double door pack, and and a door in Adv pack 6 - just pointing that out too in case you feel you can do without 2 of either.

DroopyMcCool49
Goblin
Goblin

Pledge help for a first time backer

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Greetings Dwarven Forge hive mind! This is my first official post to the forums, and of course, it is to request help with my pledge. I think I have created the optimal pledge for myself, but I wanted to throw it out here to see if anyone else might have a better idea. Before we get to the intended pledge, I have put a small list of bullet points about my situation and desires.
  • I do not own a single piece of Dwarven Forge
  • I have a $2000 budget
  • I want a solid mix of Dreadhollow and Caverns, though I am not especially enthralled with any particular encounter
  • I am going completely unpainted
  • I reside in the USA
So, with that out of the way, on to my pledge.
  • Essentials 1 - 6 $514 + $15 shipping
  • Encounter 15 Dreadhollow Forest $610 + $18
  • Hag's Den Adventure Pack $35 + $2
  • Cavern Starter Pack x 2 $96 +$4
  • Cavern Floors Pack $32 + $2
  • Crooked Caverns Pack $37 +2
  • Cave Doors Pack $25 + $1
  • Double Door Pack $11 + $1
  • Cave Cliff Pack $68 + $3
  • Trifecta Terrain Pack $59 +$2
  • Misty Gateway Pack $40 +$2
  • Stairway to Violence $46 + $2
  • Hollow Elevation Pack $14 + $1
  • Natural Bridge Pack $27 + $1
  • Short Stilt Pack x 2 $20 + $2
  • Stilt Pack $12 + $1
  • Passages Pack $27 + $1
  • Passages Accessories Pack $50 + $2
  • Stone Banks Pack $25 + $1
  • Crystal Caverns Epic Elements $67 + $2
  • Cave Water Multipack $54 + 2
  • Quicksand Multipack $54 + $2
  • Hazards Variety Pack $43 + $1
  • Dreadhollow Scatter Terrain Pack $22 + $1
  • Stalagmite Pack $28 +$1
  • Vile Mushrooms Pack $28 + $1
The above totals $2117 and provide me with about 4 square feet of Caverns plus whatever the square footage on Dreadhollow Forest is, which I guess is slightly over 1.5 square feet. I believe this gives me the best bang for my buck given that I need a considerable amount of bread and butter pieces. I did consider Essentials 1 - 9, but I found it added a lot of bling and significantly reduced my square footage of Caverns. I also considered adding whole encounters such as Encounter 11 Hag's Den, Encounter 7 Mushroom Grotto, or Encounter 8 Savage Gorge, in lieu of several add on packs, but in each case, I ended up paying the same or even more with far fewer bread and butter pieces.

So, what I don't like about the configuration above is the limited Dreadhollow coverage. Adding a Light Forest Pack and one of each Tree Pack would get me to a solid 2 square feet, but that comes in at $191, so I don't know that it is feasible. This configuration also blows my budget already, so I am looking at some cuts, with the Stalagmite Pack, Vile Mushrooms Pack and Misty Gateways Pack the first packs that I would chop, though I admit that I really want the Misty Gateways Pack, though I feel that it is overpriced for the flexibility it provides. That being said, I have a very strong feeling that they will cost considerably more post KS. I also may sub the Underdoom version of the Cave Doors pack in since it has the trapdoor, but that is not a price difference, so it does not impact anything.

So, suggestions and thoughts? Is there anything key I am missing? Should I consider shrinking the caverns for more Dreadhollow?