Pledge help for a first time backer

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Pledge help for a first time backer

Post by biowizard » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 pm

DroopyMcCool49,

As you say that you do not own any DF pieces and have a considerable budget, I would consider if I were you to allocate some ($500?) of your $2000 budget to DF pieces that are currently available in the web store. Dungeon pieces (Game Tiles) are usually more common in RPG and this way you could have DF pieces in hands in about 2 weeks instead of a full year. This way you could even play with your Game Tiles and perhaps modify accordingly your pledge KS6 before the end of the pledge manager phase. Welcome!

artcwolf
Goblin
Goblin

Post by artcwolf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:19 pm

I missed the unpainted part. That's been my day today :) The painting is the fun part. The dozen or so i've painted from KS1 it was fun, but alas time hasn't given me options to sit down and paint en mass :D

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Yup, I can see those two being used along a coast or on a river/stream location and that makes them very versatile for my needs. My group tends to end up with alot of outdoor location encounters. The ruins I can see using in conjunction with Dungeon tiles, with Cavern tiles or with outdoor settings that are now in ruins.

DroopyMcCool49
Kobold
Kobold

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:05 pm

@Artcwolf Oh, well, I could simply paint up one of the two I am getting in ice, yes. I think maybe you missed that I am getting everything unpainted. I have actually considered that. If I get all of these pieces and decide I really don't need everything to be just plain caverns, I may paint one up in the ice scheme.

artcwolf
Goblin
Goblin

Post by artcwolf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:02 pm

@droopy, that's why i suggested just getting the ice caverns starter pack. it's the same as what you have listed but painted in ice

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... RiclVhWFVR

DroopyMcCool49
Kobold
Kobold

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:06 pm

@ Zenako I assume in Encounter 8 and 9 you are referring to the suspension bridge, boat and dock. I would love to work all of those in too, particularly the bridge, but I just cannot find the space. I really feel like Essentials 1 - 6 is the place to be for $1000 to $2000, or in the case of painted $2000 to $3000, budgets.

@SpaceMonkey I did not realize that the discount was so low, but I did try to build off of the Cavern Entrance pledge, and every time it just ended up being higher. I could just never work around the extra shipping and the loss of the discount to get a pledge that seemed like more. I may give that another shot though.

@artcwolf Thank you for the welcome. I am sure I am going to regret jumping in to this. I am really going to have to get some of my unused gaming stuff up on eBay to compensate. I absolutely love the Ice Cavern, and it was what pulled me in, but sadly I realized for versatility purposes I would have to let it go for now.

artcwolf
Goblin
Goblin

Post by artcwolf » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:32 pm

with 1-6 encounters i would make the 2 starter caverns Ice caverns(listed in the add-on section)

I'm also really partial to the huge LED mushroom.

You are on the right track :) Welcome to the addiction :D You will not be disappointed. I spend several months in the dog house each year.

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:29 pm

I would offer that your plan is very close to where I am (albeit I have painted versions listed and a 3K target). Essentials 1-6, and Dreadhollow form the big ticket items on my list. The rest will be flavor and stuff that I can see using in both a cavern and outdoors, so for me, items from encounters 5, 8 and 9 all are high priority. Overall I would say your list looks pretty good to me.

SpaceMonkey
Orc
Orc

Post by SpaceMonkey » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:25 pm

The essentials 1-6 doesn't give a huge discount (around 5-6%) so if there are some adventure and/or bling packs you'd be willing to cut you could free up a little to get more forest. The essentials also gives you a double door pack, and and a door in Adv pack 6 - just pointing that out too in case you feel you can do without 2 of either.

DroopyMcCool49
Kobold
Kobold

Pledge help for a first time backer

Post by DroopyMcCool49 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Greetings Dwarven Forge hive mind! This is my first official post to the forums, and of course, it is to request help with my pledge. I think I have created the optimal pledge for myself, but I wanted to throw it out here to see if anyone else might have a better idea. Before we get to the intended pledge, I have put a small list of bullet points about my situation and desires.
  • I do not own a single piece of Dwarven Forge
  • I have a $2000 budget
  • I want a solid mix of Dreadhollow and Caverns, though I am not especially enthralled with any particular encounter
  • I am going completely unpainted
  • I reside in the USA
So, with that out of the way, on to my pledge.
  • Essentials 1 - 6 $514 + $15 shipping
  • Encounter 15 Dreadhollow Forest $610 + $18
  • Hag's Den Adventure Pack $35 + $2
  • Cavern Starter Pack x 2 $96 +$4
  • Cavern Floors Pack $32 + $2
  • Crooked Caverns Pack $37 +2
  • Cave Doors Pack $25 + $1
  • Double Door Pack $11 + $1
  • Cave Cliff Pack $68 + $3
  • Trifecta Terrain Pack $59 +$2
  • Misty Gateway Pack $40 +$2
  • Stairway to Violence $46 + $2
  • Hollow Elevation Pack $14 + $1
  • Natural Bridge Pack $27 + $1
  • Short Stilt Pack x 2 $20 + $2
  • Stilt Pack $12 + $1
  • Passages Pack $27 + $1
  • Passages Accessories Pack $50 + $2
  • Stone Banks Pack $25 + $1
  • Crystal Caverns Epic Elements $67 + $2
  • Cave Water Multipack $54 + 2
  • Quicksand Multipack $54 + $2
  • Hazards Variety Pack $43 + $1
  • Dreadhollow Scatter Terrain Pack $22 + $1
  • Stalagmite Pack $28 +$1
  • Vile Mushrooms Pack $28 + $1
The above totals $2117 and provide me with about 4 square feet of Caverns plus whatever the square footage on Dreadhollow Forest is, which I guess is slightly over 1.5 square feet. I believe this gives me the best bang for my buck given that I need a considerable amount of bread and butter pieces. I did consider Essentials 1 - 9, but I found it added a lot of bling and significantly reduced my square footage of Caverns. I also considered adding whole encounters such as Encounter 11 Hag's Den, Encounter 7 Mushroom Grotto, or Encounter 8 Savage Gorge, in lieu of several add on packs, but in each case, I ended up paying the same or even more with far fewer bread and butter pieces.

So, what I don't like about the configuration above is the limited Dreadhollow coverage. Adding a Light Forest Pack and one of each Tree Pack would get me to a solid 2 square feet, but that comes in at $191, so I don't know that it is feasible. This configuration also blows my budget already, so I am looking at some cuts, with the Stalagmite Pack, Vile Mushrooms Pack and Misty Gateways Pack the first packs that I would chop, though I admit that I really want the Misty Gateways Pack, though I feel that it is overpriced for the flexibility it provides. That being said, I have a very strong feeling that they will cost considerably more post KS. I also may sub the Underdoom version of the Cave Doors pack in since it has the trapdoor, but that is not a price difference, so it does not impact anything.

So, suggestions and thoughts? Is there anything key I am missing? Should I consider shrinking the caverns for more Dreadhollow?