Help!: Games Tiles And Tacky Finishing Spray

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Help!: Games Tiles And Tacky Finishing Spray

Post by LordDust » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:52 am

pacarat wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:42 am
I live in a fairly arid area (not uncommon to have RH in the low teens) so I have the opposite problem. Last year I had a couple of biz trips to ROK, and took some figs to paint. First trip I'm tooling along with my usual two dozen mini round robin, and when I get back to figure one, and attempt the next layer the paint from first layer hasnt dried. WTF? Oh, yeah - 90% RH. So I have to resort to a 50 or 60 figure round robin, and wait till next evening for the next layer.

What a pain. :?
Between a wet palette and a swamp cooler you could probably make it stay damp long enough for layering techniques that use blending if you decide to explore that route. When dealing with humidity you can also use a hair dryer and a paper cone to help figs dry quicker (a heat gun is overkill generally IMO). My wife has an old hair dryer that still pushes plenty of CFM, it just doesn't heat much. I use it for figs or other projects since my problem is seldom a lack of humidity. Another trick is to set a couple figs into a shoe box with a mess of silica packets (one of my jobs I work they throw tons away so I can get some free). It seems to speed drying pretty well too if I want to avoid flowing air.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:42 am

LordDust wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:49 pm
Based on some experiences of mine I am actually considering buying a passably cheap painter's tent to temporarily set up around my desk with a dehumidifier in it for certain projects. It won't get me a massive difference compared to the rest of the room, but it can probably get me a big enough reduction in humidity to make a difference.
I live in a fairly arid area (not uncommon to have RH in the low teens) so I have the opposite problem. Last year I had a couple of biz trips to ROK, and took some figs to paint. First trip I'm tooling along with my usual two dozen mini round robin, and when I get back to figure one, and attempt the next layer the paint from first layer hasnt dried. WTF? Oh, yeah - 90% RH. So I have to resort to a 50 or 60 figure round robin, and wait till next evening for the next layer.

What a pain. :?

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:49 pm

Based on some experiences of mine I am actually considering buying a passably cheap painter's tent to temporarily set up around my desk with a dehumidifier in it for certain projects. It won't get me a massive difference compared to the rest of the room, but it can probably get me a big enough reduction in humidity to make a difference.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:53 am

Trollface wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:31 pm
Has anyone tried simple green on dwarvenite to remove paint?
FWIW, I've tried both that and methylated spirits/denatured alcohol, and they work roughly as well (in both cases I find I need do 2 rounds of soak + scrub and then just paint over the few lingering spots) but the alcohol stink evaporates more effectively and also the paint doesn't seem to come off IN the alcohol which makes it easier to reuse.

kiltedyaksman
Goblin
Goblin

Post by kiltedyaksman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:11 pm

I have used simple green extensively.

It works. Sink your pieces and let them soak though.

Downside...they will smell minty fresh forever lol

Trollface
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Trollface » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:31 pm

The guy from Black Magic Craft reccomends mini wax spray poly, since it does not affect the foam. It all comes down to what chemicals are in the spray formulation to keep the product from clogging the nozzle, and spraying properly. Of course try a test piece first.

Has anyone tried simple green on dwarvenite to remove paint?

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:57 am

The Dullcote cans have changed, but from what I understand as long as the model/formulation number is 1260 (usually 1260A here locally), it’s the same old Dullcote.

kiltedyaksman
Goblin
Goblin

Post by kiltedyaksman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:29 pm

I am using standard home interior paint. Exactly from the same on KS1 and Dunegon of Doom.

Very frustrating.

It may be humidity but I am not convinced yet.

RisingSeraph
Goblin
Goblin

Post by RisingSeraph » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 pm

patransom wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:00 am
Army Painter Matte Varnish stayed tacky for me. I found that Testors Dullcote worked, but maybe I ended up with the old formula?
Air quality and temperature seems to be the greatest factor. I had a few pieces I'd varnished with a Hobby Lobby seal, went on tacky. Lastnight I hit them again with Testor's - it was a cool 65 degrees outside with no humidity whatsoever - dried perfectly with no issue. I didn't think the humidity was that bad when I used the Hobby Lobby stuff, but my experience last night just further cements the need for no humidity when using spray sealer and a preference for Testors.

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:00 am

Army Painter Matte Varnish stayed tacky for me. I found that Testors Dullcote worked, but maybe I ended up with the old formula?