How do you group / organize your DOD pieces

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: How do you group / organize your DOD pieces

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:25 pm

First...

there is no one answer. IT depends on how large your group is, now often you meet, and what style games you run.

That said, here's my system, with brief comments on why. Keep in mind that while I am at best a Minor Whale, I have quite a bit of not only DwF but other building materials.

1-Al DwF (and other systems) are categorized as:
o-"Terrain" - (any natural terrain features EXCEPT Woodlands sets)

o-Castles (aboveground, fortified structures NOT including CBS castle Walls);
o- CBS (aboveground, ordinary buildings and CBS castle walls);
o-Sewers or similar (underground, any service tunnelling to support aboveground structures or a higher level of dungeon);
o-Dungeons (underground and built by intelligent races);
o-Caverns (underground, almost entirely in its natural cave state);

All organization procees on this basis, with storage left to right / Top to bottom in the order shown.
Terrain is actually stored separately from DwF and other buildings so in practice it has its own section.

2-Within each category, I store things in the order that makes the most efficient packing for that type of storage (flat file / rolling rack/ Building Wall plastic containers). However, each category has Post It labels in its own color. One color corresponds to each category. The main collection of each category is in a Flat File or Rolling Rack in one spot in my KZ, very close to the Fly Tables. This enables me to see the Category I need immediately, and to find the accessories for that category (like Den of Evil for Dungeons) by color.

3-Each label specifies what type of piece is behind it in Flat Files or Rolling Rack. For drawers, each label lists contents from front to back.

More later...

The Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Very nice gaming room!
102 Resin and 210 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:36 am

I really like your gaming room! Thanks for sharing.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:14 pm

ConspiracyOfOne wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:31 am
may i ask how wide the room is relative to the table? (i am preparing to build a game room in a VERY narrow space and i am VERY worried) - i'm gonna guess 12' wide room with a 40" wide table...
This portion of the room is about 13', maybe a couple inches bigger. The table is 8' by 42". I originally just bought two of the cabinets to put under the windows, but then I realized the room looked uneven and I had plenty of room on the other side.
That is a nice game room and it looks like you can use it for other things without it screaming game room.
When I went house shopping two years ago, one of my criteria was a gaming space. This is actually a lower level family room, but we have no use for what is essentially a second living room. So we put a dining table in and the room can serve several functions. Not pictured in a bar area I'd like to redo as a little kitchenette. The table is also a bar height, which works well with miniatures because you don't have to stoop over.
Fantastic! - kitchenette is essential to a game room (and the word kitchenette always makes me sing the English Beat) - i have room for that i just lack width - my space will be 9' wide by 25' long - so definitely no cabinets on the side ;) I am thinking it just might work... - my original plan was for 14' wide room but that ends up adding nearly 20K to the project (lot line, offset issue and redrawing property lines...) so that is pretty much out :(

love your room and the cabinets make it!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:13 pm

I know when we looked at our house a long time ago, we definitely took into account locations for gaming. We too had it in our downstairs living room near a fireplace. But that ended up being too small as the years went by so we put an addition on the house and made the entire ground floor the new game room. However it is very much a gaming den and looks nothing like the room above.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:43 am

ConspiracyOfOne wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:46 am
and my game room overall:
gameroom.jpg
Nice game room.

ConspiracyOfOne
Kobold
Kobold

Post by ConspiracyOfOne » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:31 am

may i ask how wide the room is relative to the table? (i am preparing to build a game room in a VERY narrow space and i am VERY worried) - i'm gonna guess 12' wide room with a 40" wide table...
This portion of the room is about 13', maybe a couple inches bigger. The table is 8' by 42". I originally just bought two of the cabinets to put under the windows, but then I realized the room looked uneven and I had plenty of room on the other side.
That is a nice game room and it looks like you can use it for other things without it screaming game room.
When I went house shopping two years ago, one of my criteria was a gaming space. This is actually a lower level family room, but we have no use for what is essentially a second living room. So we put a dining table in and the room can serve several functions. Not pictured in a bar area I'd like to redo as a little kitchenette. The table is also a bar height, which works well with miniatures because you don't have to stoop over.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:54 am

Damn Conspiracy - that is a hell of a nice game room!

I agree with Kodiakbear - that one won't scare off the straights ;)

It looks nice and spacious with comfortable room around the table - may i ask how wide the room is relative to the table? (i am preparing to build a game room in a VERY narrow space and i am VERY worried) - i'm gonna guess 12' wide room with a 40" wide table...

Sweet space - i long for a world that is that organized ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:25 am

Welcome to the forum ConspiracyOfOne

ConspiracyOfOne
Kobold
Kobold

Post by ConspiracyOfOne » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:46 am

and my game room overall:
gameroom.jpg
gameroom.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 951 times