Everything We Want for KSVII - Continuation of Dreadhollow

Please choose desired 3 components for Dreadhollow Continuation (for KSVII - If DF goes this route)

Poll ended at Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 am

1) Autumn Themed & Conifers (swappable foliage tops)
9%
2) Swamp Themed Tiles
12%
3) Haunted Forest Tiles (ie - cemetary, dead and blighted trees, webbed, gallows, etc.)
8%
4) Elven Ruins and/or Elven treehouses (Or any ruins for that matter - overgrown stone arches & rubble)
19%
5) 6 x 6 or 12 x 12 open forest tiles to allow placement of scatter, buildings, clearings, etc.
12%
6) Farm field/edge of town tiles (burrows, sewer, trap themed tiles w/ inserts, etc.)
13%
7) Magnetic and nonmagnetic tree accessories
3%
8) Alternate Forest Trees (ie - Weirwood style or Tree Ents, etc. for players to stumble upon)
5%
9) Bodies of Water (River and pond/lake tiles)
14%
10) Tiles with inserts (ie. - burrows, pit & snare traps, maybe hidden sewer entrance/exit, etc)
5%

Total votes: 191

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Everything We Want for KSVII - Continuation of Dreadhollow

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:59 am

GODofwar wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:09 am
It is NOT a natural law that I not be allowed to build a house within five feet of my property line, or store a trailer in front of my house. Those are stupid, un-justified rules.

It IS a natural law I can't make extremely unpleasant odors on my (residential lot) property, because that prevents you from enjoying your next-door lot. In other words it destroys part of the value of your property. All humans with unimpaired senses of smell dislike stinks.
Interesting that the sense of smell gets protection but not the sense of sight how does the sense of hearing fair in your version of natural law? Not to say I do not agree with you on the trailer or the property line. All though the property line laws are likely to stop the spread of fire. Is fire part of natural law? Back on sight, if we ok the trailer with the idea that you do not have to look at it and unlike smell and sound sight is not harmful at what point is light itself dangerous? Do you have to buy black out curtains because I want to light up my yard at night to the lumina rate of a sunny day or does that make me annoying enough to be breaking natural law? ;)

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:09 am

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:42 pm
If you think the US is bad, come look at Japan. Here if you own the land you can largely do whatever you want.
This seems like a gift from god to someone living in overly restrictive California - but i can only begin to imagine the chaos of a world without rules...
I think its called 'freedom'.....

....however, no one suggested no rules (anarchy).

Its pretty easy to justify rules without reference to any theological or social assumptions. A one-paragraph proof [SOME] rules for humans are a natural law:

1. Human beings are by natural law social animals. We function only living in groups (yes, we have hermits; every human characteristic displays on a bell curve. Hermits are at the -99.99% level and dont' matter).

2. No social group can tolerate murder, rape, robbery and a host of other things including destruction of another's property. If these things are not legally prevented and barred by force, society will collapse.

3. Since humans are social animals, this violates our nature, ie, natural law.

It is NOT a natural law that I not be allowed to build a house within five feet of my property line, or store a trailer in front of my house. Those are stupid, un-justified rules.

It IS a natural law I can't make extremely unpleasant odors on my (residential lot) property, because that prevents you from enjoying your next-door lot. In other words it destroys part of the value of your property. All humans with unimpaired senses of smell dislike stinks.

And so on.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt

xxxxx

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:08 am

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 pm
dice4hire wrote:
If you think the US is bad, come look at Japan. Here if you own the land you can largely do whatever you want.
This seems like a gift from god to someone living in overly restrictive California - but i can only begin to imagine the chaos of a world without rules...
I think its called 'freedom'.....

....however, no one suggested no rules (anarchy).

Its pretty easy to justify rules without reference to any theological or social assumptions. A one-paragraph proof [SOME] rules for humans are a natural law:

1. Human beings are by natural law social animals. We function only living in groups (yes, we have hermits; every human characteristic displays on a bell curve. Hermits are at the -99.99% level and dont' matter).

2. No social group can tolerate murder, rape, robbery and a host of other things including destruction of another's property. If these things are not legally prevented and barred by force, society will collapse.

3. Since humans are social animals, this violates our nature, ie, natural law.

And so on.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt

xxxxx

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Chivalry and Sorcery had an extensively developed set of rules for logistics, wilderness adventuring etc.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:42 pm

"the chaos of a world without rulers" - are you trying to bring back the measurement debate? :shock:
Emily Litella voice: Oh "rules", well that's very different .....nevermind.

So I'll try this again:
From the AD&D Wilderness Survival Guide (by Kim Mohan, TSR 1986) -
"Even if outdoor travel is only used as a means of getting from one Significant Place to the next, a trek through the wilderness is an adventure in itself. With proper attention to detail, getting there is half the fun - perhaps even more than half."

This tome is geared towards Role-playing in outdoor environments, and might not carry a lot of weight with Wargamers and Diorama builders. The commonly encountered terrain types remain Desert, Forest, Hills, Mountains, Plains, Seacoast, and Swamp, so nothing that hasn't been mentioned before. It's really in how that all impacts the player characters as they tromp through it that this book really shines - The opportunities for memorable and exciting adventures that don't (necessarily) involve a band of orcs blocking the way, but present challenges that require skills which often go overlooked or are taken for granted.
Some examples of said skills: Alertness, Animal handling, Animal Lore, Boating, Charioteering (that's what it says), Direction Sense, Endurance, Fire-building, Fishing, Foraging, Hunting, Mountaineering, Plant Lore, Riding, Rope use, Running, Survival (cold, desert), Swimming, Tracking, and Weather Sense. nice.
I'm going to skip the 'effects of weather' since that's not something that would show up in the build itself, but there's some pretty cool tables that cover Hurricane damage, Gales, Fog, Sandstorms, Tornadoes, Lightning Storms, and Ice/Sleet damage. such a good book.
Movement and Encumbrance come into play when one moves from normal to rugged to Very rugged terrain (that wagon hauling the supplies may become more trouble than it's worth), and scaling Cliff faces (or simply rugged vertical surfaces) can require ropes, grappling hooks, and/or specific climbing skills (Rappelling and Belaying). Movement thru Water terrain brings us tables for Swimming, Diving, Treading water, and (my favorite) Holding One's Breath.
There's a great chapter on daily requirements of Food and Water - including a table for Tolerance Levels for Lack of Food, the likelihood of Foraging for Food on specific terrain types across all four seasons, Hunting, Stalking, Fishing, Finding Water, and Purifying Water.
Camping is discussed at length, and I'm wondering why I forgot about this gem. Natural Shelters, Portable Shelters, Quality of Rest, Effects of a Bad Night's Sleep, Starting a campfire, Dousing a campfire, Running away from an out-of-control campfire (I'm paraphrasing, but it's there), and the inevitable Damage from Fire.
Natural Hazards in the Wilderness takes it up a notch with Volcanoes (see lava lamps), Earthquakes, Tidal Waves, Flash Floods, Avalanches, Rockfalls, and Quicksand.
The book wraps up with Effects on Combat & Magic, and Strong Winds (didn't count on that windchill, did you?)
(whew)

Now, a lot of that is going to occur at the behest of the DM (Avalanche!), and isn't really something to be sculpted, but it all starts with having the correct groundwork (literally). So, I guess what I want for KS7 is ...Everything! :D

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 pm

dice4hire wrote:
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:25 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:34 am
I am pretty sure that what we want for Dreadhollow is a pollution free light weight city friendly form of personal transportation that preserves our independence while not oppressing the freedoms of others.

So lets talk trunks - how much trunk is enough - or do we want the Elven Hatchback?

:lol:

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:42 pm

period3 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:45 pm
The city is full of convenient amenities though. Just down the street I have a liquor store; several marijuana and vaping shops; a church; a mosque; a funeral home; a money mart; ethiopian, afghani, mexican, turkish, and italian cuisine; pubs; a weird soccer gambling place; a dollar store; drug mart; library; bowling alley; methadone clinic; several schools; my kid's daycare; *AND* free wi-fi which I'm mooching presently.

Damn I should have been an urban planner. Those guys don't do anything.
Is that list in order of importance?

I actually took a couple of classes in university about urban planning. If you think the US is bad, come look at Japan. Here if you own the land you can largely do whatever you want.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:39 pm

I’m hoping to be able to swing the Skatebord pledge level. As cool as the Penny Farthing pledge is i am having a hard time justifying it
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

DWChancellor
Orc
Orc

Post by DWChancellor » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:42 pm

This thread rolls on and on.

I want in KSVII - After thinking through my actual pledge, I have a hard time not wanting everything on the poll. Really like sets that can slot in different ways with dungeons, caverns, CSB... like the ruins set this time. Little huts and structures you can place on all the terrain pieces (like stick huts for goblins) seem especially appealing as my collection saturates for basic pieces.

Metric vs SI - Can't get away from English units no matter how much I'd want to. Soooo much legacy equipment. Whoever thought mils was a good unit should have been hung from something by his toes.

As for car/no car - Having lived in a small town with permanent and separated bike-paths I know carless living is possible and good. But living where I do now with murderous raging cellphone addicts (who are also madly sleep deprived) hurtling around I dread letting the kids walk on the side of our residential street let alone consider traveling any distance without a metal shell and airbags protecting us. Now if there was a way to get *them* out of their cars... that'd be different.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria