What add-ons in the PM have you committed to?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What add-ons in the PM have you committed to?

Post by dice4hire » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:07 am

The pack of double sided water is also very tempting.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:07 am

That is one of my thoughts. I really do not like or need the stone side.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:47 am

the price is definitely right - $66 for 5 trays is a great deal

DOD trays are $20 each or 2 plus 2 small for $55

now you are making me consider ;)

i think i will still buy more of the DoD trays that i can get and use now - they work for the way i game and i use the gray side (i know i am boring) - but to me they are trays not negative space
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:19 am

If there is one thing I have learned from DF is that if I have the piece I will make a use.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:19 am

In one of the last updates they showed off a set just like that but 12x12

66 plus shipping

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:27 am

Are they doing a big one? - or just the 6x6
Hazards.png
Hazards.png (571.28 KiB) Viewed 508 times
these are kinda cool - but VERY specific - the lack of a gray side means they are really for neg space only and they are some pretty specific neg space situations

6x6 is tiny as far as the tray aspect of these goes - although i like the idea of elevating the bottomless pit with a space below it that is playable - as if the pit is an interdimensional rift
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:39 am

Is anyone else thinking of getting the large hazards variety terrain tray pack because it will have 10 different pieces of DF art? I am tempted.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Soon

Yes, I am washing my own mouth out with soap at this very moment.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:19 pm

I am just dying to have a peek at the Pledge Manager at this point! Any moment now it should be opening, right? :?

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:22 am

I keep running up against the same roadblock, which is that until I have this stuff in my hands I can’t quite tell which sets I’ll use most. Knowing that it’s better to get things now as opposed to waiting, I’m fine with erring on the side of getting things. But prices and money being an issue, I’d rather not over-commit to sets I won’t be able to use that much at the expense of sets I will. The safest bet, Ofc, would be to get 1 of anything I am inclined towards and plan to (a) only double up once I can determine what I use most, relying on eBay or forum trades if necessary; and (b) sell any sets I find that I can’t really use.

But I know it’ll take a year before stuff ships and I anticipate some delays and issues along the way (hopefully not like what we saw with DoD, but all the same) so I’d rather not build in even more waiting and hassle. I want to at least TRY to pledge for close to precisely what I want.

Which leaves me with this dilemma. I can roughly tell how big a cavern I can build just by relying mostly on the encounters and their rough dimensions. That tells me, for example, that an extra cliff pack would probably be a waste because I don’t have a cavern large enough to use most of those pieces. At least, that’s what I THINK. But since I’m getting some extra floors and walls here and there, I can’t really tell
HOW big a cavern I could make - how much room I’ll have for ANY of my pieces.

I’m planning to get the core set for Savage Gorge and use the cliff pieces from that, plus I’ll have the mushroom Encounter and a few other sets like Crooked Caverns and Cavern floors and Double Door. So I just won’t be sure, say, if I’ll have room for half a natural bridge leading to a cliff.

And while it would be nice to have the flexibility of even more cliff pieces, that’s like an extra $100 for stuff that could mostly be lying around if there’s no room to fit it. Plus - I notice the cliff pieces almost exclusively being used with terrain trays, while I personally would want to use them on top of cavern floors within a fully built cavern, not negative space. I want them to create more organic elevation shifts that are not just straight lines. But large cavern floors are not flat - so how many flat floors would I need to support a lot of cliff pieces? How could I even do that? It feels like an impractical build...and if it’s not possible I don’t want to drop an extra $100 on cliffs.

The trifecta pieces pose a similar dilemma. So much of the walls go off-grid, and every time you go off-grid you need a symmetrical piece to get back ON grid. Or you need half floors to make up the gap. So you have to make sure you have enough for those choices. It’s tough.

And so on. Lots of sets where I think “sure, I’d want a ton of these so I have options,”. But without a chance to experiment with it all to see how it works, I don’t benefit from more sets I can’t use.