Cavernous Passages Pools

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Cavernous Passages Pools

Post by Oldent » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:07 pm

promind wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:53 pm
Hey guys, this all awesome feedback. The set did come in the molded styrofoam (no box) so I think it is genuine? I’ll do some more investigation. When I get home I’ll try out the cue-tip idea. Just water for the solvent, or something like a 50% vinegar? It is interesting because every single pool on every piece is this way. At first I was thinking high heat, but seemed odd that it would cause this. Here’s hoping that is just something covering the pools. (But why would anyone do that?)
May be they thought it would look better.

I can not tell if there are gas bubbles. Old eyes. Let us know.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

promind
Goblin
Goblin

Post by promind » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Hey guys, this all awesome feedback. The set did come in the molded styrofoam (no box) so I think it is genuine? I’ll do some more investigation. When I get home I’ll try out the cue-tip idea. Just water for the solvent, or something like a 50% vinegar? It is interesting because every single pool on every piece is this way. At first I was thinking high heat, but seemed odd that it would cause this. Here’s hoping that is just something covering the pools. (But why would anyone do that?)

realarete
Goblin
Goblin

Post by realarete » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:52 pm

I have 2 passage sets, and the water effects are all hard-ish, no tackiness. That said I have cleaned them with a white vinegar-water solution (similar to what I'd clean my hardwood floors with) using a small cloth applicator in the past, and I've done this simply because of use, and the water effects seem to need a bit of cleaning .... None of them are soft however.

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:34 pm

I have several sets, I've never seen this issue.
Last edited by MrMorden on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Last edited by MrMorden on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:21 pm

Or a Q-tip if you want to be extra careful. Scrub one of the pools with water first, then move to vinegar if that doesn't work, etc. The puddle should be smooth, and you don't want to scratch the resin.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:17 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:11 pm
It looks to me like something has been put on top of the clear resin. The clear resin is a hard resin, not soft.
I did not mention that water could harm the felt paper. It would not be a good idea to immerse the tile. Use a spray bottle.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:11 pm

It looks to me like something has been put on top of the clear resin. The clear resin is a hard resin, not soft.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:40 am

It sounds like someone added some kind of water effect, The clue I am going buy is soft. Sticky sounds like oil based or sugar?. Try to wash hit with vinegar. See if someone spilled a coke in it.

Wash it. Let it dry in the sun right side up. Then tell us what you see

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:11 am

I have five Cavernous Passageway sets and they have lived through high heat and humidity in an attic over several summers as well as freezing cold in a non-insulated garage and I have never seen anything like that in any of the passage pools. One of them is a very old bow-tie set and the others are somewhat newer non-bow-tie sets.

Are you 100% sure they are original Dwarven Forge and not a recast? I unknowingly bought a recast set that did not come in a box many years ago that I have since disposed of, though he water effects still did not look like that. :?