Necessary to seal when using Pokorny Paint?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Necessary to seal when using Pokorny Paint?

Post by dice4hire » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:51 pm

I have yet to have paint come off my DF prepainted or stuff I painted myself.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:37 pm

TBH a sealant may not have the flex the paint does and may crack. Obviously depends on both the product and the thickness of the coat.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:01 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:22 pm
I'm thinking the rather soft nature of the PVC compound flexes enough that the paint layer can flex with it, keeping it in place rather than flaking or scuffing off like on harder or more brittle materials. Just a guess.

If I were painting my own, I'd probably seal them just to be sure, but it might not matter much and touch-ups could always be done (and probably more easily) if the pieces are not sealed.
While I normally store my pieces in drawers, many times I'll just dump them into the tote bags for transport to/from the game table. Even all jumbled together and rubbing against each other I haven't noticed any wear on them so far. I'm sure they're not indestructible, but they are remarkably durable, and I don't think a sealant would have any net effect.

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm thinking the rather soft nature of the PVC compound flexes enough that the paint layer can flex with it, keeping it in place rather than flaking or scuffing off like on harder or more brittle materials. Just a guess.

If I were painting my own, I'd probably seal them just to be sure, but it might not matter much and touch-ups could always be done (and probably more easily) if the pieces are not sealed.

RisingSeraph
Goblin
Goblin

Post by RisingSeraph » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:58 am

LordDust wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:50 am
I used it on a slightly paint resistant resin piece I have and have not had any problems with it once it cured on that. Some of the craft and/or hobby paints I have scratch off or chip more easily, some are more durable. The Pokorny paints seem to be a bit more on the durable end.
They certainly do - maybe this is why I originally thought they included a sealing agent - I've gotten way more mileage out of unsealed Pokorny Paints than any unsealed craft store brand. Maybe it's because of the way Stefan has formulated them? Here's the product description:

"Pokorny Paint Colours are Dwarven Forge's own brand of miniature paint that is specially designed to adhere well to the Game Tiles "dwarvenite" material. Stefan has formulated the viscosity of these water-based acrylics specifically for painting Game Tiles. They don't need to be diluted (which waters down the pigments), and you don't need to prime your pieces."

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:50 am

I used it on a slightly paint resistant resin piece I have and have not had any problems with it once it cured on that. Some of the craft and/or hobby paints I have scratch off or chip more easily, some are more durable. The Pokorny paints seem to be a bit more on the durable end.

RisingSeraph
Goblin
Goblin

Post by RisingSeraph » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks! I'm not sure where I got the idea but it seemed like they weren't necessary to seal and I've never seen it rub off.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:12 pm

I have also never sealed anything I painted with their paints and to date, none has come off that I have noticed. I have always been able to paint right on the parts as received without any extra cleaning. So one can make more work for themselves recleaning the items and then sealing them later, but not sure there will much of any benefit to doing that for general terrain pieces.
Last edited by zenako on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForestZ
Ogre
Ogre

Post by ForestZ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:30 pm

I think it's just standard acrylic paint, afaik. That said, I've never sealed any of my tiles and they are pretty darn durable.

RisingSeraph
Goblin
Goblin

Necessary to seal when using Pokorny Paint?

Post by RisingSeraph » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:32 pm

From somewhere I got the understanding that Pokorny paint has a built-in sealer / varnish and it is not necessary to use Testor's Dullcote or another sealer for that reason, is that correct?