GM's looking for music for game sessions

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: GM's looking for music for game sessions

Post by dice4hire » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:42 am

I have a bunch of 10 minute looping tracks from Plate Mail games. There have been a bunch of other music Kses also.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:46 pm

You can also find public domain sounds files that are loopable and ones you can purchase. For example, I have one of the sounds of riding in a horse drawn carriage, one of a downpour, one of thunder, and one of string wind. I can combine those to create the atmosphere of a carriage ride through a mild to strong storm. I had done it the hard way in the past though by creating a set of command line inputs in a text file run through a command prompt to run them on the sound card. That has gotten way too difficult on newer machines. I need to look into something with a simple graphical interface that can start and stop multiple tracks separately and allow different volume levels for each track. The volume variation allows for raising or lowering the intensity of a given effect. Louder or softer playing of the downpour file can simulate different levels of rain, while the same changes on wind and thunder can vary the impression of storm severity.

I have medieval tavern backgrounds, market backgrounds, etc. You can do a lot with a low volume background sound for creating atmosphere. Like the sounds of dripping water and indeterminate echoes for a dungeon or cavern. Full environment loops can be nice, but I like being able to mix a few simpler loops on the fly to create the background sounds I want for my given scenario.

I'm wanting to do something very similar with the Hue lights myself, I just don't want to do built-ins yet since we plan to sell this place. Please update us on how things work out. If it isn't too much trouble I'd like to know which items and software you chose and to see some pictures. I think that info might help me down the road.

Glendel
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Glendel » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Yes, exactly, don't want it to be something loud. Rather, just in the background. Up in the corners of the room so its not right at the table. In the woods, just hear light forest sounds, breeze, birds, crickets and such. In town low town sounds. Large market, hustle and bustle of people and shops. So on, but none of it loud enough to have to raise the voice of the players.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:51 am

That’s an interesting and cool idea. Let us know if it works out. There used to be something called MiddleEarth radio or Rivendell radio, something like that. It had streaming fantasy style music and such. I tried it during a game but it was distracting. Your idea is better.

Glendel
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Glendel » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:18 am

Like that one too. some interesting features there. My ideal is to be able to tap an icon and it will start the right sound file, and Hue will enact the 'Theme' i assign the lights. I have a young group with only 3 of us adults so they would love it.

ZayrZas
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ZayrZas » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:11 am

I can recommend www.tabletopaudio.com sound fx and ambient sounds and not only for fantasy settings.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:59 pm

nice find

Glendel
Goblin
Goblin

GM's looking for music for game sessions

Post by Glendel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:53 pm

So, building a new game room in new house. Going to be replacing all the lights in the room with Phillips Hue lights. Putting up speakers in the corners of the room to play appropriate music/sounds. Then be able to tap an icon and it will change the sounds to what I have that icon set to, and change all the individual can lights and light fixtures to what I have them set to for that icon.

Was looking for music/sounds and stumbled across this:
https://rpg.ambient-mixer.com/

Super excited for this and will be a huge staple to my gaming sessions and game room build!