Which resin classic sets would you recommend and how many?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Which resin classic sets would you recommend and how many?

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:47 pm

As someone who owns some of everything, my favorite resin sets are Caverns, Catacombs, and RotA. I use those a lot in my builds. Next would be the MBS and DoE. I have to find an excuse to use them in my games with the Dwarvenite sets being less fragile (my kids always want to play with my setups after my gaming group is done with them). Woodland, Ice Cavern, Sci-Fi, Hellscape, and Dungeon sets are harder for me to pull out. I have to have a story that needs them. Dwarvenite has just taken over 90% of my dungeon layouts due again to durability, though I still 100% like the paint job and rocks on the old resin sets better. If you can get any water sets at a decent price, they are 100% worth it too. I rarely use my Dwarvenite water sets unless my resin ones don't fit correctly in the build.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:11 am

Are there more resin sets coming in the March restock? The list on the homepage only show Dwarvenite DoD sets.

But back on topic, if someone has Dwarvenite and is looking to supplement with Resin, I think RotA and Catacombs are the winners right now. I would have said DoE by a landslide, but the DoD Shrine can fill that nitch just about as well. Yes they look different, and having both is better, but if you're trying to be primarily Dwarvenite, I think you can get by.

RotA is probably the most unique set and I really should try to get another set or two of it. I usually aim for 3 of a base set and 2 of any add-on sets, to have sufficient flexibility for builds. And one of my RotA 2 boxes I bought off ebay was mis-packages (correct number of peices, but missing a lot of RotA 2 pieces with extra RotA 1's thrown in). RotA might not be as heavily used though depending on your campaign.

Catacombs is also very unique and very easy to mixin/transition from DoD or Cavern as is a more common environment for a lot of people.

Also rans, IMO: Woodland -- still my favorite visually, inspite of some of its tiling problems and sorta odd environment. It is great for a hedge maze, or for dressing up other areas, but is harder to find consistent uses in campaigns.

DoE: Wonderful, wonderful sets, as I said above, if the Shrine didn't exist this would hands down be my top suggestion for Resin sets to purchase. Its also a good choice since it has more add-ons so your builds can get a bit more technical.

Cavernous River/Lake: always a standout, but very hard to find/always expensive.

The Master Maze/basic dungeon, ruins, caverns, hellscale are all easier to pass on these days I think. Ice caverns are tricky -- I like the resin treatment better than the dwarvenite, but not enough better to seek out more.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:44 am

Tyrant wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:50 pm
unclebilly wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:16 am
I really should pick up another RoTA 1 set. I may once the May restock hit the store and If I find more that I can add to it.
Was this a typo or is there a restock in May? If so, what is supposed to be restocked?
Typo should have been March .

Tyrant
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Tyrant » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:50 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:16 am
I really should pick up another RoTA 1 set. I may once the May restock hit the store and If I find more that I can add to it.
Was this a typo or is there a restock in May? If so, what is supposed to be restocked?

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:27 pm

I’ve been a resin snob forever, but just lately I find myself turning to the dwarvenite for the regular dungeon look. I was actually thinking of trading off my resin basic dungeon sets for unpainted dwarvenite sets of the same type. Thing is, I really like the my paint job on them.

I still prefer the resin cavernous look, as well as all the speciality sets, and the lake, river sets over dwarvenite. DoD really kind of made me do a double take on dungeons though. They did a fine job on that DFite.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:16 am

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:06 am

Pizzabagel wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:58 am
To DF expert veterans: which classic resin sets do you recommend picking up and how many? Thanks!

I'm curious what program you decided on, Pizzabagel?
BTW, I would get one more RoTA 1. I find a 2:1 ratio of RoTA 1 / RoTA2 works well. I just upped my collection to nearly that number (5xRoTA1 to 2xRoTA2).

TLW
WeaselWarGod

AstroCat
Orc
Orc

Post by AstroCat » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Ended up with these sets for Resin. I've gotten the most use out of the Catacombs so far, and some of the Woodlands. RotA will have it's time, I really could use some DoE walls, floors but they seem very hard to find.

Lake Expansion (from the lotto)
4" Intersection With 4 Inserts
Den of Evil - Wicked Additions Set
2x Woodland Set
2x Realm of the Ancients I Set
1x Realm of the Ancients 2 Set
2x Catacombs I Set
2x Catacombs 2 Set
Catacombs Set 2 - Tombs & Mummies
Catacombs Set 2 - Altar Set

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Beatrice Paige wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:57 am
AstroCat wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:48 am
I've never owned any resin before but have a good collection of KS1-5. So I picked up one of each:

4" Intersection With 4 Inserts
Den of Evil - Wicked Additions Set
Woodland Set
Realm of the Ancients I Set
Realm of the Ancients 2 Set
Catacombs I Set

I couldn't really afford more than 1 of each and I wanted the most variety. I will also get Catacombs 2 Set when it comes online and Den of Evil - Room Set if it ever comes around.

Does any of this look like a mistake? How much will I bum with just one set of each? The idea would be use the resin for flavor rooms among the normal Dwarvenite builds.
One of each is sweet :)
Get at least two Woodlands ....I wish I had. ROTA should be enough for a small ROTA area in your dungeon. I would get Catacombs 2 if one is available. Very useful.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:41 pm

@TLW - Our thoughts are very much the same here. My intent with Resin (and heck, even the "special edition" Dwarvenite like Marble) is to be able to add some variety to the builds, not create a huge area.

@All - I've decided to start picking up bits of DoE as they become available. I grabbed Wicked Additions from the DF shop and the "Expansion" set elsewhere.

Still looking to get 1 (maybe 2?) of the Rooms Set if anyone is looking to lighten their Resin collection to fund KS6 or other purchases.

In the meantime, fingers crossed that the DoE Rooms Set gets on the next restock (or Preorder!!!, please) list. :)

Return to “Questions?”