LED & Battery Life SPan & Maintenance Question

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Re: LED & Battery Life SPan & Maintenance Question

Post by arsthein » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:34 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:46 am
arsthein anyone can disagree and most are respectful - so its all good :)
If the paint job is not up to your standards then suggest you buy unpainted and pay a commission painter to get the standard you want. This is not any kind of criticism but a suggestion for you to get the paint standard you want without DF having to increase prices further, probably not easy to source and debatably more expensive.
I forgot to answer this!

For me, painting is not on the table, although I am considering tweaking a little all the dwarvenite dungeons and Dungeon of Doom, to change the column vault color and more important get rid of the black with yellow mud spread look of the KS 1. But man that is going to be some long project with my little spare time.

And going through the hassle and expenses of getting someone to paint the pieces, is not really practical for me. It would be ultra-expensive, much more than paying for an improvement int the factory quality I think, and I wouldn't probably have another option but to ship them out of my country to someone and get them back, which would be crazy expensive just for that (to date I may have as much dwarvenite, if not more, than resin).

I started collecting dwarven forge because of the prepainted quality, the simple process of paying for the pieces (even with the old crazy shipping costs and customs), getting them and use them, and in that area, for the time being, they are starting to lose me (a shame, because the painting of the non-bread-and-butter and accesories is very good).

If other manufacturers catch to DF in that area (not 3D prints), no matter how many other improvements they may make, I would have a hard time to find reasons to keep myself loyal. It's just the sad fact of my personal and subjective expectations/needs agains the direction they are taking, I don't mean to sound bitter of "threatening". I'll keep loyal as much as I can, there they are the badges to prove it.

Greetings!

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:23 am

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:11 pm
arsthein wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 pm
{{{all your battery pix and comments which started this}}}
Thanks, Arsthein. You saved me some trouble! FWIW, the only LED piece batteries that have EVER died on me were ones left on overnight or longer (by mistake). I turn the LED on only while the PC are actually in the room, and turn off if we break to eat etc.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
You are very welcome sir!

Yep, I've read a lot of LED opinions and advices here in the forum, and I was not really worried about battery duration.

Anyway, I figured I better learn the ropes for a safe storage, how to replace them when time comes, be aware of the quantity I need for the amount of led pieces I've acumulated, the battery models, etc.

Greetings!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:11 pm

arsthein wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 pm
{{{all your battery pix and comments which started this}}}
Thanks, Arsthein. You saved me some trouble! FWIW, the only LED piece batteries that have EVER died on me were ones left on overnight or longer (by mistake). I turn the LED on only while the PC are actually in the room, and turn off if we break to eat etc.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:

We understand the need for variety, and whilst we agree, it just is not going to happen to the level you would like.

Most backers and DooFers have been firmly suggesting that DF do not do this, variety means they have to make hard choices they do not want to make (that might be a little harsh).

There is a number papers waiting to be written on the psychology of this, we, like you, think variety is good but don't think DF will go down this route unless its done over a period of time.
IE DoD 2017, Drow dungeon 2021, Necromancer dungeon 2025 ....etc

Which they have kinda been doing already.

Not got any resin so cant compare but consensus says they are gorgeously painted, we have found in the three Kickstarters we have received the painting to be more than adequate, anything better would get a little lost on our table. So making painted more expensive, no thanks.

We totally get that this is High-end luxury Table top terrain but your in huge danger of pricing out a substantial amount of backers by doing that, especially overseas as we would have to pay even more in taxes per piece.

If the paint job is not up to your standards then suggest you buy unpainted and pay a commission painter to get the standard you want. This is not any kind of criticism but a suggestion for you to get the paint standard you want without DF having to increase prices further, probably not easy to source and debatably more expensive.
Another rare Lagomorphic Agreement. What Rabbit said.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Nice tips Astolat! I take note!

Greetings!

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 am

arsthein wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:40 am
LadySabelle wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:31 pm
I'm so glad it was something that could be fixed. Thank you for taking the time to send us an email at customersupport@dwarvenforge.com

I had completely missed this thread and would not have been able to help if it weren't for the fact that I am working customer support right now.

So if anyone is in a situation where something isn't working, or you just have a question or concern, please send us an email and we'll do what we can to get you the response you need. And pictures, full names, order numbers, SKUs, and any other information you might have, will help keep the email tennis matches to a minimum. Thank you.
Thanks to you again mylady! The idea of the pictures was Astolat's, so credit goes to him, I'm not sure I would have taken that route if nobody had taken interest in helping me investigate. So, I figured, since the work of the pictures was already here in the forum, I'll bring it to your attention.

Her. :) Happy to have offered the suggestion, and that it was such an easy fix! My experience with DF is that it always pays to shoot them an email whenever something goes wrong, as they are super responsive and will almost always figure out a way to resolve your issue. (Which bears repeating constantly because it's in stark contrast to virtually every other support experience out there, where going to a user forum is far more likely to get you useful answers.)
1 of the Catacomb Sets 1 is older than the other (I think between 2 and 3 years now), and the LED corners had their batteries (I hope this is the right term in english), sulphated, so I proceed to remove them and disposing of them (this LED Catacomb Corners had been used in game, tabs removed, used turned on, and stored without putting the tab back and without removing the batteries). The pieces are ok though, and they still work ok with new batteries (they use 3 LV44 each). But may this serve as a warning, I think the wise move is not to store LED pieces with the batteries more than a year, even used or unused.
The CR2032 coin batteries used in the more recent sets are I believe very unlikely to leak -- I don't remember anymore but I looked it up once. I've been storing my DF with batteries in with no problems.

If you do get that sort of weird residue leaking, get some 99% or 100% alcohol, take out the battery, clean it all off with small rags or q-tips dipped in the alcohol, and let it dry thoroughly and then try with a new battery. (Also often works on children's toys where the cheap battery has exploded everywhere. Not that I have had this fun experience repeatedly or anything.)

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 am

Hi there buddies!

About the smaller scale of the next kickstarters, I'm not very worried about that factor, as I think it would be doable even with a smaller scope.

I say this because one of the possibilities heading the way I flap my mouth so much about could be customizable walls (this is obviously the wrong thread to talk about this, but I think it has been brought up before, and I'm just enjoying the conversation more than rallying for something to DF).

I've been observing several accesories of late: for example the ossuary inserts, the gargoyle corner columns, and things like the banners from castles that have a metal tab to pass over a wall (that can be used in dungeons very effectively).

Now imagine some combination of those mechanisms that could be used in standard customizable walls. I would prefer if such walls presented a different, more original brick pattern (bigger, or irregular bricks) in a slightly different colour (but not necesarily so different that it would look bad combined with regular dungeons). If these walls were thinner than the regular walls (let's say half), there could be crevasses put in several places (the base of the wall to insert thinner walls in front of the fixed wall), or vertical ones, or on top to pass a metal tab, etc). There could be new vault inserts for them (with statues of different styles instead of the red columns, for example), walls covered in runes, frescoes, inscriptions, vines, half columns with different reliefs (slide into a vertical crevasse), etc.

I think that would be awesome, so I just thought I would like to put the idea out there again. Putting aside your preference for wargames (which I already knew, talking about the gentle pack ;) ), what do you think?

Greetings!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:16 am

arsthein wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:09 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:

We understand the need for variety, and whilst we agree, it just is not going to happen to the level you would like.

Of course, I view your thoughts a reasonable point of view to consider, but in my "mind-veredict" still have to graciously disagree. not much to add so... duel of stares! (sh***t... so many red eyes in the bushes...)
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Not got any resin so cant compare but consensus says they are gorgeously painted, we have found in the three Kickstarters we have received the painting to be more than adequate, anything better would get a little lost on our table. So making painted more expensive, no thanks.
Oh noble critters, I wish I was filthy rich to get in your paws a couple of Den of Evil Rooms and a Wicked Additions set, so you see. I'm sorry I'm not! (for various reasons XD)

Best regards my friends.
I don't disagree with your desire for more variety, we would love to see us get more choice, we just think we are in the minority as the overwhelming impression for backers was to have less, and given the promise from DF of smaller scale Kickstarters (not heard that before ;)) we just don't think we are going to get the variety you'd like. Not disagreeing just reading the 'room' and coming up with a conclusion.

We very much appreciate the sentiment of getting some gorgeous DF resin in our paws, but there are lines we have to draw to stop us drowning in cool stuff we wont use and DF resin is one. As wargamers we don't have a lot of use for dungeons or even caverns, there are some scenarios we can use dungeons for but not many and our DoD encounters will sort that.
We are hoping to get more DnD playing with the kids, but for now our DoD covers that too :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:09 pm

zenako wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:32 am
@arsthein Being relatively new to the DF portion of the hobby I have a couple of other perspectives to toss out. I recall seeing all the resin stuff but never went for it at that time. It is only in the Dwarvenite era that I have become seriously active in building a collection of terrain. So for me, each new KS of stuff was really new stuff and I did not have to worry about how it compared to the old resin. I suspect most new collectors have that same perspective. DF needed to grow beyond the limits that resin put on them production wise, and the injection molded designs allowed them to do that.

A challenge they would face with "different" designs for core pieces like walls and floors, etc. Is how do they make them different enough to attract old timers looking to augment their collection and not provide something that appears to be somewhat niche that new buyers are not inclined to go for? For example, making a new set of dungeons walls and floors more Ancient like Greek or Roman, might appeal to some, but be too specific for many others. I also have a hard time picturing the terrain or schemes in most fantasy lit or games. They tend to be generic in many ways and as such the current generic dungeons can serve those game settings as well as any.
Hi there friend! I am aware of the point you make about dwarvenite, and I agree that there had to be first a strong "generic" line, so to speak, to "feed" all the new desirable fanbase that has not any resin. I just think is time to go that next step in variety I talk about.

But the challenge you talk about (this has been discused many years ago, I believe), although a real one, I think is achievable. Think in all the dungeons in videogames and other media, the possibilities for dungeons "different but generic enough" are staggering IMHO (devilish temple, gothic dungeons, cyclopean ruins, nordic tombs, etc). It's just that I think DF would be up to that particular challenge, given their previous successes at it.

Of course, I don't find necessary that the "new" styles achieve the amount of pieces that regular and DoD dungeon has (epic stairs, grand round corners, etc) but still would be very useful, and not all new styles would need, let's say, a new grand bridge.
Rabbit Burner wrote:

Of course, I view your thoughts a reasonable point of view to consider, but in my "mind-veredict" still have to graciously disagree. not much to add so... duel of stares! (sh***t... so many red eyes in the bushes...)
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Oh noble critters, I wish I was filthy rich to get in your paws a couple of Den of Evil Rooms and a Wicked Additions set, so you see. I'm sorry I'm not! (for various reasons XD)

Best regards my friends.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:46 am

Most backers and DooFers have been firmly suggesting that DF do not do this, variety means they have to make hard choices they do not want to make (that might be a little harsh).

There is a number papers waiting to be written on the psychology of this, we, like you, think variety is good but don't think DF will go down this route unless its done over a period of time.
IE DoD 2017, Drow dungeon 2021, Necromancer dungeon 2025 ....etc

Which they have kinda been doing already.

We totally get that this is High-end luxury Table top terrain but your in huge danger of pricing out a substantial amount of backers by doing that, especially overseas as we would have to pay even more in taxes per piece.

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan