Royal Stronghold vs Grand Citadel

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Royal Stronghold vs Grand Citadel

Post by GODofwar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Glendel wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 am
Okay I am playing catch up. Now that I am done getting DoD, my last 2 Capitols show up today and have tons more CBS getting painted, and DCD for KS6 it is time to set focus on Castle Builder/KS4.

I am sticking to about 2k for initial purchase unpainted. Get it in the house, build it, mess with it and see what elements I may want more of, or missed getting and want to get and so on. So to start I would like to get more building vs decoration. Flexibility to use towers stand alone, or walls for towns or keeps or inns and still have enough castle to make a small castle on a hill if I need.

Where I am stuck at the start of things is 2x Grand Citadel vs 1 Royal Stronghold. I want the 4 6" towers, I like the RS because it also has the 2x 4" towers. Looking at the spreadsheet it seems you get a bit more in the RS vs the GC. You do miss out on the 12" walls. But RS is about $100 less expensive leaving me $375 for some add ons.

So I just am not sure which to start with. I am leaning to RS. Thoughts to get me going in a good direction to build from?

I have to (reluctantly) say 'Pay heed to the voice of the Lagomorph Hivemind'. I think Rabbit Burner has built a more magnificent castle than just about any other Trog.

Mine are still unpainted (but not unused).

TLW
WeaselWarGod

GrumpyOne
Orc
Orc

Post by GrumpyOne » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:57 pm

Glendel wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:52 pm
In my minds eye I would like to have a wall and gate ability for a small but prosperous town.
What about the Ramparts add-on set? I've toyed with the idea of getting that for an outer wall entrance if I get rid of the Count's Castle set.
"Initial success or total failure"

Glendel
Orc
Orc

Post by Glendel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Seems like a good idea Grumpy. Get the RS and a couple add ons I know I want regardless. Then build and play for a bit. Then back peddle and pick up things I feel I am short on or am missing flexibility for. In my minds eye I would like to have a wall and gate ability for a small but prosperous town. Would like to have a watch tower or mage tower like ability and then have the ability to have a castle of some sort. And be able to do all of these at the same time.

I think the RS will give me the pieces to do this. Well, with some add ons to break out towers, some 12" wall sections and a couple few things like that. Now to do the math and work on it to see where I need to expand in add ons.

GrumpyOne
Orc
Orc

Post by GrumpyOne » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:48 am

I looked at the Grand Citadel however I ended up with a Royal Stronghold, a Count's Castle, a Sorcerer's Sanctum, 2 Watchtowers and some add-ons (i.e, long walls, etc.). And this was all after the fact as I missed the KS.

It really all depends on what you plan to build down the road. For me, I found the RS to be plenty with a couple add on packs so I already sold the SS and plan on selling the CC and the Watchtower sets.
"Initial success or total failure"

Glendel
Orc
Orc

Post by Glendel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks puts a few things into perspective. Really take a hit not getting x2 stretch goals if you go RS vs 2x GC as well. I think I may have to go RS though. I am a hands on builder. Seems I may have to do RS, 2 tower break out packs, and then another $300 give or take a little in some specific wants. Then build and mess with it for a bit and come back for one more purchase of about $1k to add the things I feel would add flexibility and flavor that I will still be wanting.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:27 am

A second GC also allows one to make a castle with a larger footprint... which can be useful if you are putting things in the courtyard.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:24 am

We got 2 GCs as we knew exactly what we wanted to build, so added extra walls and towers as we required.

GCs require you to buy add-ons to allow you to build a complete castle, including crenellations/battlements, inside walls and other bling you may want, batter bases, buttresses etc.

Whereas the RS gives you a useable castle straight away which is a big advantage. You get a great selection of pieces that you can use with CBS and other builds.

The advantage of the GC is its a great basic structure to add to if you want to create more varied builds, for instance you can pick what crenellations/battlements to use, we much preferred the crenellations/battlements from KSIII CBS to those in KSIV, though we did get some of the big battlements too.
Two GCs also give you the option for double height walls and four 6" towers.

Remember that to breakout towers from the GC or RS you will need a Large Tower Breakout pack to use the towers as standalone.

You find the following thread useful - its our building of our 2 GCs
https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/view ... =48&t=8672
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Glendel
Orc
Orc

Royal Stronghold vs Grand Citadel

Post by Glendel » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 am

Okay I am playing catch up. Now that I am done getting DoD, my last 2 Capitols show up today and have tons more CBS getting painted, and DCD for KS6 it is time to set focus on Castle Builder/KS4.

I am sticking to about 2k for initial purchase unpainted. Get it in the house, build it, mess with it and see what elements I may want more of, or missed getting and want to get and so on. So to start I would like to get more building vs decoration. Flexibility to use towers stand alone, or walls for towns or keeps or inns and still have enough castle to make a small castle on a hill if I need.

Where I am stuck at the start of things is 2x Grand Citadel vs 1 Royal Stronghold. I want the 4 6" towers, I like the RS because it also has the 2x 4" towers. Looking at the spreadsheet it seems you get a bit more in the RS vs the GC. You do miss out on the 12" walls. But RS is about $100 less expensive leaving me $375 for some add ons.

So I just am not sure which to start with. I am leaning to RS. Thoughts to get me going in a good direction to build from?

Return to “Kickstarter 4 Discussion”